Garden Cities Qualifying Heat 2001/2002
The Garden Cities is a national team of 8 competition. Cambs & Hunts
hold a local tournament to qualify winners for the regional final.
Cambridge 1 won this year's competition. They finished 2nd in
the Regional Final, qualifying for the
the National Final where they finished 3rd.
The draw was random subject to the following constraints:
- Teams from the same club to be in different sections of the
- Cambridge 1, Saffron Walden 1 and the University not to
meet before the semifinals.
Prelimininary Round (to be played by 5th December 2001)
||by 6 IMPs
Quarter-finals (to be played by 21st January 2002)
||by 17 IMPs
||SAFFRON WALDEN 1
||by 4 IMPs
||by 71 IMPs
||SAFFRON WALDEN 2
Semi-finals (to be played by 18th February 2002)
||by 82 IMPs
||by 169 IMPs
Final (to be played by 18th March 2002)
||by 53 IMPs
- Teams consist of 8 players playing as two teams of 4 (A
& B). The A
team should contain the strongest partnerships.
- The A teams play a match of 26 boards and the B teams a match of 24
boards (two stanzas of 12 with two extra boards for the A teams), scored
by aggregate IMPs. (Boards 25 & 26 only taken into account in the
event of an overall draw on the other boards).
- The usual format is for the first team in the draw to have their A
team at home and B team away. Both matches must be played on the same
day. However, if both captains agree, both matches may be played at the
same venue and in this case the same boards may be played in both if
- All players must be bona fide members of their club. No player can
play for more than one team. Teams may be changed between matches but
not during a match. The TO should be informed when new
players are added to a team.
- Permitted systems - Level 4 throughout.
- The winners will represent the County in the Regional Final
at Peterborough on 18th May 2002. The National Final is at
Coventry on 22nd June 2002.