In each of the following hands, select a lead. Entries should be submitted to either editor before the end of August.
Based to some extent on a consensus view, our judges will award seven marks for the choice of lead, and a further three for reasoning (which should not be unnecessarily long - a one word explanation may suffice!) Feel free to comment if the form of scoring (or vulnerability) matters.
1. Q10843 Q2 752 Q93. Teams, game all. 1-1-1NT-P, 3NT.
2. QJ94 Q6 54 J10762. Teams, love all. 1-P-2-P, 2-P-3NT.
3. QJ32 K852 973 A4. Pairs, Oppo vul. 3-3-P-4. (3 showed takeout with spades).
4. KJ97 A954 76 K102. Pairs, Oppo vul. 1NT-P-2-P, 2-P-3NT (Sequence likely to have hearts but not guaranteed.)
5. KJ5 Q108 K3 AJ1087. Pairs, Vul. 1NT-P-2-P, 2. (Normal transfer.)
6. KJ862 10643 K J52 Pairs, Game all. 1-P-2-P, 3-P-3NT (2 game-forcing)
7. 4 J94 KJ7642 K54 Teams, Oppo vul. 2-3-5-5, P-6. (Weak 2, 3 showed the majors)
The results are here.